Research Fellow in Recommender Systems (Insight Centre for Data Analytics)
Insight Centre for Data Analytics are looking to recruit a Research Fellow to start on a new multi-million-euro, multi-year industry research project, funded by a global technology company. The project will develop next generation recommender systems technologies, drawing on the experience and expertise of a leading recommender systems research group in UCD as part of the Insight Centre for Data Analytics. This is a 2-year position.
The project will require close collaboration with industry partners.
The successful candidate will lead the research work in the project, setting the research agenda, mentoring and tutoring the postdocs and the students. The candidate will lead the work on the design and development of an industrial recommender system, developing new or advanced research skills associated with the research project, publishing in top level peer-reviewed academic venues. The successful candidate will also play a lead role in developing and executing a programme of research and scholarship under the supervision and direction of the Principal Investigator.
Salary: €53,243 - €56,378 per annum
Appointment on the above range will be dependent upon qualifications and experience.
Closing Date: 17.00hrs (Local Irish Time) on 20 July 2018.
- PhD in a Computer Science with significant post-qualification research experience
- A willingness and a desire to collaborate with industrial R&D
- Demonstrated experience in Recommender Systems
- Demonstrated experience in Machine Learning
- Demonstrated understanding of Deep Learning
- Track record of high-quality publications and/or innovation outputs, in accord with the norms of their discipline
- Typically a minimum of 4 years postdoctoral experience, ideally including an international element and/or enterprise experience
- Demonstrable track record in the following areas:
- Publications, as assessed by the norms of their discipline i.e. quality and impact of academic publisher, citations, ranking of journal publications etc.
- Supervision of students, including, where appropriate contributing to undergraduate project supervision and Masters Dissertations on taught programmes.
- Research leadership in a research group or laboratory.
- Contribution to the writing of research proposals which are submitted to peer-reviewed funding processes.
- Capability to exercise independence in research, as evidenced by, for example, senior authorship/sole authorship of publications and invited presentations at conferences
- Extensive experience in any of the following:
- Tools for Big Data analysis (spark, hadoop, etc)
- Explanations for recommender systems
- Privacy for Recommender Systems
- Natural Language Processing
- Embedded Systems (particularly recommended systems on embedded platforms)
- Diversity in Recommender systems
- Distributed/decentralized machine learning
- Strong demonstrated software development skills in languages like python, Java, R... and relevant data analytics packages and libraries.
- Strong communication skills and experience of communicating complex ideas to non-technical audiences and agreeing project requirements with partners.
- Demonstrated contribution to management of single research project (reporting, financial management, purchasing etc)
- Proven ability to coordinate overall delivery of project objectives including interdependencies across work packages
- Track record of communication research to a wide range of stake holders
- Experience of devising new methodologies to solve complex research problems
- Demonstrated ability to structure research workplans, identify risks and define risk mitigation strategies.
- Attainment of independent funding through a competitive, peer-reviewed process.
- Innovation and commercialisation outputs, e.g. development of patents, prototypes
- Industry collaboration or experience.
Applications must be submitted by the deadline online at https://www.ucd.ie/workatucd/
Elias Tragos - elias.tragos "at" insight-centre.org
Application End Date:
Friday, 20 July, 2018